Thursday, June 13, 2013

Reaping the Rewards of Hard Work


I had an interesting experience the other day while out on my run.  I was headed out for a four miler, one of our more typical runs at this point in training.  As I was running, I realized everything felt easy and good.  I wasn’t sure what was going on right away, and then, I realized…my breathing, my heart rate, and my pace were completely in sync.  This is the first time on any run I have felt that rhythm.  My body felt so light and my breathing was easy.  Even though it was rapid from the effort, it was effortless, not something I am used to.  I usually feel as though my breathing is labored and difficult.  Not so that day nor in the days since.  Oh sure, I still experience being out of sync, more often than not, yet, but since I have started experiencing when everything comes together, that seems to be holding my focus.  I guess because it is such a pleasant experience and I really enjoy my runs during my runs, instead of just the pleasure felt upon completion of my runs.

Experiencing my body movement, breathing, and internal body environment in sync has been truly wonderful if for no other reason than I am starting to reap the fruits of my labor.  The hard work I have put in over the past few months is starting to manifest itself in ways I had not anticipated.  If anyone had said the running would get easier, I would have laughed in their face, because I just knew that couldn’t be possible.  Not with my previous and current experiences.  I couldn’t have been more wrong, though.  It’s not that it is easy.  It is easier.  And it is more fun.  More enjoyable.  I still have thoughts about wanting to stop sometimes.  But, for the most part, I don’t have the thoughts anymore about not being able to make it.  I am not having to work so hard to let go of the negative thoughts because they are not present like they used to be.  This has been a gradual transition, one that only I could experience in the way that I did, because everyone is different.  All I can say to others who are just beginning is, keep at it and see where your training takes you.  Allow yourself time to adjust to the demands you are making on your body.  Schedule rest days into your training so you have time to recuperate from your training.  Remind yourself why you started doing what you are doing and keep doing it if it is still worth it to you.  For me, I had to stick with it, through some okay days, some bad days, some good days, some downright stinky days to get to the point of having a really great day with some great days afterwards.  I know I will still have bad days…I did just 3 days after such a good day.  But, I have tasted the good and I want to taste it again and again.  The only way I know how to do that is to keep at it.  So, I will and I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment